Black Bean & Corn Salad



I first made this about 1.5 years ago when we were having a "no carb BBQ" a couple months before our wedding and I needed some healthier side dishes. Since then, literally every time we have friends over and I'm trying to decide what to make Ross always says, "Why don't you make the black bean and corn salad?" I don't know whether to be insulted or glad that his favorite thing ever comes from dumping a few canned ingredients and some spices in a bowl.

It's pretty much just black and beans and corn. It gets a little zing from a balsamic vinegar sauce that it marinades in, as well as some chili powder, cumin, and cilantro. It's really good as is but if you want to add a little more I'm thinking diced red pepper, avocado, or even tomato. A splash of lime probably wouldn't hurt either.


Recipe
Black Bean & Corn Salad (From AllRecipes.com)
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, sugar, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together black beans and corn. Toss with vinegar and oil dressing, and garnish with cilantro. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

3 comments:

grace said...

black beans and corn, although a wonderful combination, are almost not worth eating if cilantro isn't involved. :)
lovely recipe, and terrific blog in general! my brother's in grad school at penn state, so i feel like you must've come across each other one day in that wee little town. :)

Caron said...

I made this over the weekend and it is fantastic! I think it will also be good to throw some spinach in, but I think spinach goes into all sorts of things! I brought a sample to a co-worker and she wants the recipe, so I've come back for it.

Caron said...

I finished up leftovers yesterday by mixing in a packet of albacore tuna for lunch. That was a very good addition. It was a filling but light lunch. Thanks so much for this recipe!

Post a Comment