I first made this about 1.5 years ago when we were having a "no carb BBQ" a couple months before our wedding and I needed some healthier side dishes. Since then, literally every time we have friends over and I'm trying to decide what to make Ross always says, "Why don't you make the black bean and corn salad?" I don't know whether to be insulted or glad that his favorite thing ever comes from dumping a few canned ingredients and some spices in a bowl.
It's pretty much just black and beans and corn. It gets a little zing from a balsamic vinegar sauce that it marinades in, as well as some chili powder, cumin, and cilantro. It's really good as is but if you want to add a little more I'm thinking diced red pepper, avocado, or even tomato. A splash of lime probably wouldn't hurt either.
Black Bean & Corn Salad (From AllRecipes.com)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- In a small bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, sugar, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder.
- In a medium bowl, stir together black beans and corn. Toss with vinegar and oil dressing, and garnish with cilantro. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.