Chocolate Toffee Cookies



If you're looking for a rich, decadent cookie that will satisfy your chocolate craving, this cookie will get the job done. The cookie has a chocolate base with pieces of toffee and toasted walnut studded throughout.

What's interesting about the recipe is that it only uses 1/2 cup of flour in the entire recipe. It's more like a brownie masquerading around as a cookie than an actual cookie.

The cookie was pretty easy to make. The whole thing came together in about 15 minutes. Then comes the hard part... the dough has to chill for 45 minutes before you bake it off. These are well worth the wait though.

I'm not usually a fan of nuts in my cookie but I decided to leave the walnuts in this time and they were a really good compliment to the cookie! As a matter of fact I didn't make many changes at all to this recipe except for increasing the salt content a little (shocking!) and making the cookies smaller than what the original recipe called for. The original recipe was titled "Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies" and suggested using a quarter cup of batter per cookie. I wanted to get more than 18 though so I used about a heaping tablespoon per cookie. I also sprinkled the tops with sea salt and added a few toffee pieces on top to make them pretty. But, I promise they'll be just as good if you skip that step!


Also, don't be disappointed if you take a bite of these right when they come out of the oven. They are much much better once they've cooled and rested for a little while.


Recipe: Adapted from Epicurious
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 3/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 5 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered English toffee bars (such as Heath), coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
Directions
  1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; whisk to blend. Stir chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.

  2. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts. Chill batter until firm, about 45 minutes.

  3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

8 comments:

jennifer said...

These look great. Can you use Heath chips? (you know the kind thats already chopped.)If so how much?

Michelle said...

These look delicious. I esp. love the giant stack of chocolaty goodness. Nice job!

SugarCooking said...

Jennifer: Yes, that's actually exactly what I used. I used almost the whole bag. The recipe calls for 7 oz and the bag I bought was 8 oz. However, they kinda disappeared into the cookies a little. I think next time I would use the actual heath bars and chop them really coarse, but the chips will definitely work.

Sarah said...

This is a great recipe, I've made it several times. I add in a tablespoon or two of espresso powder for a little kick. Lovely photos!

skinny asian girl said...

I love the photography in the poast - especially that picture with the bitten cookie! it looks so moist and decadent. thanks for the recipe!

Leigh Ann said...

Wow! These look amazing. I'm going to bookmark it... great photos!

Cath said...

I think I tried that recipe (or one incredibly similar) that I got from The Week magazine. So good! I made them without the nuts, and they were still fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Delicious! I just made these, and I found I needed a fair bit longer in the oven (around 20 min for small cookies) and they came out much flatter than the ones in your photos, but they taste amazing! I love them.

For the toffee I used large chunks of skor bar and they're great! Perfect with a glass of really cold milk :)

Post a Comment