The other day I went to the store and fresh corn was on sale. It was 10 ears of corn for $2! Clearly, I had to buy some corn. I had no idea what I was going to make with it, but I knew I'd figure something out. And I did. And it was so good, I went back to the store 2 days later so buy even more corn and make the same dish again. Yes, you read that right. I might this corn twice in 2 days!
The recipe is pretty simple, but requires a little time and labor. This was my first experience grilling corn, so I read a lot of different methods before beginning. It seems like the preferred method is to keep the husks on, remove the silks, soak in water for about 30 minutes, then grill for about 20 minutes. That's exactly what I did and they came out so good!
I took bits and pieces from different corn recipes I saw and ended up with this. Some recipes call for mayo, sour cream, or creme fresh to be mixed in with the corn but I wanted the freshness of the corn to stand out so I just used a tiny bit of butter. The recipe calls for cotija cheese and I definitely encourage you to seek it out instead of replacing it because it really takes the corn to a whole new level!
Grilled Corn Salad with Cotija Cheese
- 8 - 10 ears of corn, silks removed, husks on (soaked in water for 30 min)
- 1/2 tbls butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbls chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ancho chili pepper (I'm a wimp with spice, add more if you want)
- After soaking the corn, grill on medium high for about 20 minutes.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, remove the husks and cut the corn off the cob.
- Saute in a pan over medium high heat with the butter, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, chili powder, and chili pepper.
- Add the cotija cheese just before you are ready to serve.