Baked Sweet Potato Fries with a Honey Lime Dip



I absolutely love sweet potato fries. If I'm at a restaurant and they're on a menu, chances are that I'm ordering them. I even manage to convince myself that they're "healthier" since you know, they're sweet potatoes not evil white potatoes. Never mind the fact that they are fried and oily.

With these fries I don't have to convince myself that they're healthier because they are. No frying here! These "fries" are baked in oven. They came out a lot better and crispier than I had expected. The real trick to these is to make sure that they're all cut the same size so they cook evenly. I like my fries a little on the skinnier side so I cut mine pretty small. You definitely don't want them big like steak fries otherwise they'll never crisp up the way you want. Also, make sure that you have a really good knife to work with because cutting through raw potatoes can be a tough job. These fries are worth it though!

The dipping sauce is completely optional because the fries are great without it, but we all know that having something to dip your food into makes it more fun (and tasty)!

Recipe: Baked Sweet Potato Fries with a Honey Lime Dip
From: Our Best Bites
Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 1/2 t oregano
  • 1/2 t coriander
  • 1 t kosher salt
  • 1 t parsley
  • fresh ground paper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray.
  2. Slice your sweet potatoes into french fry shape and size. About 1/4" (maybe a tad bigger). Check out this site for a picture guide on cutting the fries.
  3. Put the sweet potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands to make sure they are evenly coated.
  4. Add all the herbs and spices and continue to toss until well coated.
  5. Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. No opening the oven door! Not even for a quick peak!
  6. After 15 minutes, take them out and flip them. Be careful as they may be a little soggy at this point.
  7. Continue to cook for another 15 - 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and serve immediately.

Recipe: Honey Lime Dipping Sauce
Adapted From: Our Best Bites
Ingredients:
  • 6 oz container non-fat greek yogurt, plain
  • 1 T mayo (reduced fat is fine)
  • 1/2 T honey
  • Juice from half a lime (or more to taste)
  • 1/4 t cumin
  • 1/8 t oregano
  • 1 t parsley
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 3/4 t salt
Directions:
  1. Mix honey, yogurt, mayo, and lime together until combined.
  2. Add in spices and herbs.

3 comments:

cookies and cups said...

Oh yeah! These look yum!! I love the dip too, great idea!

Katrina said...

Your dip recipe is amazing! I (embarrassingly) bought sweet potato fries for lunch, but made your dip, and am VERY satisfied. Thanks!

Victoria said...

Ooh, sounds great! I usually make my sweet potato fries with garlic and cinnamon with cajun lime mayonnaise, but I am always looking for variations - this looks super tasty!

Post a Comment