Black Bean Turkey Chili


Okay, so I know that for a blog called "SugarCooking" I've had a serious lack of sugar related posts lately. I've just been craving really hearty, healthy foods lately. So I figured instead of not blogging at all, I'd just blog about all the healthy things I've been making. (I know, boring). But fret not, I promise to return with some sugar laden, full fat treats soon.

So about this chili. It's easy, it's delicious, it's filling, and it's healthy. I found this chili to be just about perfect. It has a little heat but it's not too spicy. If you like things really spicy feel free to dial up the cayenne or even add in some chopped jalepeno. This is a perfect meal for a cold, snowy night; it will warm you right up. Enjoy!

Black Bean Turkey Chili: Adapted from AllRecipes
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1.3 lb ground turkey (I use 93/7)
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cans black beans, undrained
  • 1 1/2 tbls chili powder
  • 1/tsp cumin*
  • 1 tbls dried oregano
  • 1 tbls dried basil
  • 1 tbls red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbls worchestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tbls brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder ** (see note)
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne peper
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat; cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent.
  2. Add turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more, until flavors are well blended.
  3. Serve with sour and cheese, if desired.
Notes:
* I find cumin to have a very overpowering taste so I always reduce the amount called for. Feel free to add more if you like the flavor.
** I've seen a few recipes add cocoa powder to them so I tried it because I was curious. I don't know if there was a noticeable difference. I don't think I used enough to actually taste it.

6 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight... yep, black bean chili.

:)
ButterYum

PS - we used to live in SC. Still have relatives there. Happy Valley is a great place!!

Anonymous said...

i shall give you my address, and you shall mail me a sampling of your mouth watering chili.
best,
liz
ps i always add cocoa powder to my chili, gives it more savory!

cookies and cups said...

LOVE turkey chili! Especially on a day like today in NJ...snowy and cold, perfect for this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I am making the chili as we speak and it smells great! Perfect on a day like today, 111 degrees in blasting hot Arizona! I just couldn't resist :)

Anonymous said...

'Stumbled' upon one of your other recipes and ended up making this one today. Easy-to-prep *and* absolutely tasty.

Post a Comment