Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes



Well I couldn't let Valentine's Day go by without baking some sort of dessert decorated with cute red, white, and pink sprinkles. These (not so red) red velvet cupcakes were the perfect vessel for such sprinkles. And the cream cheese icing. Ross will eat anything will cream cheese icing. Seriously I could serve him raw brussel sprouts with cream cheese icing and he'd gobble them down!

I decided to go the mini route because I think mini desserts are cuter, and well Valentine's Day is all about cute stuff. The red velvet cake came out really good. It was really moist and flavorful and everything you'd want from a red velvet cake. Unfortunately I didn't check the status of my red food coloring before I started putting together the batter so my cake didn't turn out as red as it should have.

I'm definitely keeping this in my collection for the next time the need for red velvet comes a long. The only thing I might change next time is to reduce the cocoa powder a little bit. I thought it tasted a little too chocolaty for red velvet, so I may knock it down to 2 tablespoons next time. Enjoy!

Recipe: Adapted from The Repressed Pastry Chef
Ingredients:
  • 1c cake flour
  • 1/4c cocoa
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 2/3c vegetable oil
  • 3/4c sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1oz (2T) red food coloring
  • 1/2tsp vanilla
  • 1/2c buttermilk
  • 1/2tsp baking soda
  • 3/4tsp white vinegar
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Line12-cupcake pans with cupcake liners and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
  3. Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time.
  4. With machine on low, very slowly add red food coloring (and water or syrup, if necessary). (Take care: it may splash.) Add vanilla.
  5. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
  6. Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.
  7. Divide batter among cupcake pans, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for about 12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Note:: The recipe above has been scaled down to 1/3 of the original recipe. The original recipe yields 3 dozen cupcakes: 3½ cups cake flour ½ cup cocoa powder 1½ teaspoons salt 2 cups vegetable oil 2¼ cups white sugar 3 large eggs 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) red food coloring 1½ teaspoons vanilla 1¼ cup buttermilk 2 teaspoons baking soda 2½ teaspoons white vinegar

Cream Cheese Frosting
Click here for my cream cheese frosting recipe

8 comments:

Jane said...

I have yet to try a red velvet cake (I've never baked or even tasted one), but something about the mininess of your adorable cupcakes, makes it seem pretty darn appetizing. Valentine's Day just screams cupcakes, doesn't it? Have a good one!

:) Jane

Memória said...

These cupcakes look perfect. I'm going to make one today or tomorrow. So I'm glad I saw this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I made similar cupcakes for Valentines Day. Great decorating!!

oneordinaryday said...

I'm with you... I love things in "mini" versions. These look adorable and very festive.

cookies and cups said...

Gorgeous photo and beautiful cupcakes! Thanks for the tip on the cocoa powder ;)

Alexandra said...

Oh my gosh those are SO CUTE. I love mini versions of things. Half because they are so darn cute, and half because I only own a mini muffin pan, so I have no choice. ;)

Donalyn said...

Hi there - stopping by to invite you to check out our new food photo posting site at DessertStalking.com. Hope you will stop by and give us a try! - Donalyn

acekard said...

Glorious! It sounds so delicious. It makes me hungry. Yummy recipe. Thamks! I will make it soon.

Post a Comment