Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely love lemon, so when I saw how ridiculously simple this recipe was I knew I had to try it. It uses boxed cake mix (which I almost never do!) and just requires throwing in a few eggs, some oil, and some fresh lemon juice and zest.
I think the fresh lemon zest and juice is what really brings things cookies to another level. It somehow gives that boxed mix a fresh taste. These are not the best cookie in the world, but they are pretty darn good and so easy to make. So if you have a box of lemon cake mix sitting in your pantry, whip this up!
The only recommendation I would make is be sure not to underbake these. While underbaked cookies are sometimes yummy underbaked cake batter is just kinda gross. I ended up baking mine for just about the full 9 minutes.
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies: From My Baking Addiction
- 1 (18.25 oz) package lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest until blended.
- Drop teaspoonfuls (mine were probably a tad bigger) of dough int o a bowl of confectioner's sugar. Roll them around until they're lightly covered (It may help to put the dough in the fridge for a little while first). Once sugared, put them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 - 9 minutes in the preheated oven.