Chicken, Spinach, Goat Cheese Quesadillas with an Avocado Sour Cream



These quesadillas are delicous, quick, and healthy... what more can you ask for? I recently got a new grill pan because I've been seriously missing the summer time grilling. All this snow is just too much for a Florida girl to get used to! I figured I'd try out the grill pan with this quesadilla recipe.

Since I pretty much love anything with spinach and goat cheese in it, it's no surprise that I loved these quesadillas. They really came out perfect. The cheese was melting and gooey on the inside and the tortilla was crisp on the outside.

I can't remember where I first read this (although I wish I did so I could give you credit!), but I remember someone suggesting to toast the inside part of the tortilla on the pan for about 30 seconds before you put the fillings on. That way is crisps up just a little bit; enough to prevent the cheese from making the inside of the quesadilla soggy. Brilliant, right?

This recipe is obviously quite adapatable to your likes and dislikes. I also put in some monterey jack cheese to give it that gooey melty texture. I think caramelized onions would be great in here, as would roasted garlic. All the recipe quantities are approximate, but just common sense and put them on in quantities that look right.

Chicken, Spinach, Goat Cheese Quesadilla

Ingredients:

  • Flour Totrillas (whole wheat would work fine too)
  • Chicken (cooked and sliced)
  • Garlic (1 tsp., minced)
  • Baby Spinach (1 pre packaged bag)
  • Salt, Pepper, & Cayenne Pepper to taste
  • Goat Cheese (4 oz, crumbled)
  • Reduced Fat Shredded Monterey Jack
  • Non-Stick cooking spray or olive oil
Directions
  1. Heat the spinach with the garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper over medium-low heat in a pan until just wilted. Remove from heath and set aside.
  2. Heat the grill pan (or regular pan) over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil. Toast the inside of the tortilla for about 30 seconds.
  3. Take the tortilla off the grill pan and assemble as follows. Over half the quessadilla sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of monterey jack cheese, following by a few slices of chicken, then the spinach, then the crumbled goat cheese.
  4. Add to the grill pan and cook for about 1 - 2 minutes. Carefully use a spatula to flip the empty half of the tortilla onto the loaded half. At this point I like to let the quesadilla cook for about 30 more seconds, then flip it over. Give it another 1 -2 minutes, then remove from the pan and enjoy!
Avocado Sour Cream
Ingredients
  • 1 Avocado, chopped
  • 1/3 c. sour cream
  • 1 T maynoaise
  • 1 lime juice
  • 1/4 t onion powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Use a fork to mash the avocado as much as you can. (You can put it in the food processor if you want a smoother dip, but I just use a fork and a spoon).
  2. Combine it with all other ingredients and stir together.
Note: If you want a thinner dip, stir in a few tablespoons of buttermilk. If you want a smoother dip, throw everything in the food processor.

20 comments:

cookies and cups said...

Goat cheese and spinach is a winning combo in my house too! These look great :)

Anonymous said...

omgz i need this

Dgrub said...

Quesadillas are indeed verstaile and easy to make. Here's a related quesadillas recipe for your reference. let me know what you think.

diva said...

Mmm these look delicious.A light bite too!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious-especially that avocado sour cream-yum!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

This sounds really yummy and refreshingly different. I'm pretty sure everyone loves quesadillas.

Richard Turner said...

This looks incredible, and I would absolutely love to try them. Soon, yes.

diana said...

it looks yummy and delicious!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

I was making my own chicken, goat cheese & caramelized onion quesadillas and came across your recipe for your wonderful avacado sour cream recipe! I've linked to your site to give credit where credit is due. Thanks! :)
Laurie
http://thebakingbookworm.blogspot.com/2011/01/chicken-goat-cheese-caramelized-onion.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much - I make these all the time now, actually enjoying them right now!

Anonymous said...

Mmm.. I just got done eating these for dinner and I had to share with you that they were a BIG hit!

Anonymous said...

Seriously good eats!!! Made mine with feta that I had and it was fantastic too!

Team AC said...

mmm, thanks for sharing... will def have to try!

Jessica said...

I just wanted to say that you've changed my life with this recipe! I've had it three times in the last month and I'm making it again tonight! THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this cream!

Unknown said...

This sounds like it will be amazing...and I am making it tonight! Thank you for the post!

The C Team said...

This is amazing. I posted a link and picture on my blog. Let me know if that's not OK with you and I will remove it immediately.
Thank you SO much for this recipe.
"Wow, babe, you made this?"-amazed husband.

Shell said...

How much lime juice do you suggest for the sauce? 1 Tablespoon?

Post a Comment