Multi-Grain Waffles


I've never really been big on making breakfast. My usual morning routine is scarfing down a bowl of Special K with some honey, cinnamon, and a banana while I check my email. Occasionally, I'll have some oatmeal but most days I can't be bothered to be to put a bowl in the microwave for 90 seconds (I know, I'm ridiculous) so clearly any sort of waffle/pancake/omelette during the week is out of the question.

This weekend I got a very undeniable waffle craving though. Besides, I figured it was about time to put the waffle maker to use. The one we got for our wedding. The one that's been sitting in the back of the kitchen cabinets for almost 2 years now. I decided to go for a multi-grain waffle that uses whole wheat flour. After seeing the list of ingredients I wasn't sure how they were going to come out. It seems rather healthy for a waffle. They actually came out really good though. As in, I'll probably be making them on a regular basis (only on weekends of course). They definitely don't have the perfect texture. The exterior could be a little crispier and the inside could be a little lighter and fluffier, but the taste is spot on. If you're looking for a healthy waffle recipe, give this a shot.

(Marcus REALLY wanted to try these. I swear he practices this look when we're not home!)

Multi-Grain Waffles: Makes 8 waffles
Adapted from:
FoodNetwork.com
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ or cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional, but gives them a great nutty flavor)
Directions:
  1. Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.

  2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

  3. Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.

  4. Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might try separating the eggs and beating the egg whites until stiff. fold the egg whites gently just before you make the waffles. i do this with my waffle recipe and it makes them very light & crisp.

i will plan on trying this recipe soon but I will likely substitute skim milk and use no sugar added applesauce in place of the oil and brown sugar (works great with my whole wheat oatmeal pancakes).

Jennifer said...

YUM love all the whole grain goodness in these!!! Marcus sure does look hungry haha! :)

Jenné said...

Hi there! These look amazing, what kind of waffle maker do you use?

SugarCooking said...

Jenne - I use a cuisinart brand... nothing too fancy. I think this is the model I use: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WMR-CA-Round-Classic-Waffle/dp/B00006JKZN.

Post a Comment