Coleslaw


Let me start by saying that I don't particularly like coleslaw (and on that note I don't like macaroni salad, potato salad, or egg salad). I basically don't like mushy things that are held together with copious amounts mayonnaise. This coleslaw is different though. It has a much lighter, fresher taste. It has the perfectly balance of sweet and tart.

I first stumbled across this recipe when I was having a bbq last summer and needed a quick side dish that I could make ahead. I wasn't even expecting to like the coleslaw, much less be making it again and again. But I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it. It was nothing like the mushy, slimy stuff I had come to expect when hearing the word "coleslaw". I made it again last week for the super bowl to accompany some sliders I made. So, if you're a coleslaw hater, give this is a try. You may be surprised at how much you like it!

Recipe: Adapted from AllRecipes.com
Ingredients
  • 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix *(See notes)
  • 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
  • 1/4 cup white sugar *(See notes)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • A sprinkling of poppy seeds (optional)
Directions
  1. Combine the coleslaw and onion in a large bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice; mix until smooth. Pour mixture over the coleslaw and onion; stir well and chill for 1 hour.

Notes:
1. All I found was a 14 oz package of coleslaw mix. So I still made all of the liquid, I just didn't pour it all over the coleslaw. I'd suggest pouring about 2/3 of it, mixing it, and then going from there. You can always add more.
2. The original recipe called for 1/3 cup of sugar. Some of the reviews stated it was a tad too sweet so I cut it back a little. I think it could be cut back even more if you like a more tart coleslaw.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too don't care for the usually soppy coleslaw but I had one I did like the other night at a new pub in town and it sounds like what you did. Thanks.
Former Math Teacher

cookies and cups said...

I am not a huge cole slaw fan when it is by itself, but I have grown to love it on sandwiches, particularly pulled pork and hamburgers. I will have to give this one a try!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Hi, I've always enjoyed coleslaw.... though the viniagrette ones are more my favourite than the mayo ones.

Your recipe looks yum.... and my sister (who tried it last night) says so too!

BTW, Cookies and Cups, I was interested to learn you put coleslaw on sandwiches. That's something I look forward to trying! Thanks for the tip.

Happy Cooking........
Brenda @ It's A Beautiful Life

Catherine said...

I made this coleslaw for my family with a nice summery dinner--corn, burgers, and the like. My mom said it was the best coleslaw she's ever had. Thanks for the recipe.

Post a Comment