Ricotta Ice Cream



I was so intrigued by this recipe that the second I saw it I knew I had to try it. So nevermind the fact that there's a blizzard outside, last night I was making ice cream. This ice cream tastes just like a frozen cannoli! The taste of the ice cream is incredible. The texture on the other hand is a little weird. It was sort of grainy because of the ricotta. I guess that I should throw out a disclaimer that I am very picky about textures. I don't like cottage cheese because it's too lumpy; I don't like pudding because it's too smooth (this is weird, I know). Ross didn't mind the texture at all. In fact, he loved everything about this ice cream.

The ice cream itself is really simple to make. It's basically just combining ricotta, milk, simple syrup, and vanilla extract and then pouring it into the ice cream maker. And I guess as far as ice creams go this one is on the healthier side. There are no eggs or heavy cream.

I decided to just make the ice cream and not the cones, but I think these would actually be very good inside of cones (or cannoli shells!) because the I think the crunchiness of the cones would disguise the grainy texture a little more. If you're looking for a really rich and creamy, decadent ice cream, then this isn't it. But if you want something delicious and different, try this!

Ricotta Ice Cream
Recipe: Giada de Laurentiis, Food Network
Ingredients:
  • 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup simple syrup, recipe follows
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips* (the original recipe calls for 1 cup, but I thought 1/2 was perfect)
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and milk until smooth. Add the simple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
  2. Pour the ricotta mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the chocolate chips 10 minutes before the end of freezing.

Simple Syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar

In a saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and allow the syrup to cool.

5 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a neat recipe - I LOVE cannoli! I wonder if the texture would have been improved if you pureed the ricotta in the food processor first. Thanks what I do when I make ricotta cheesecake. Otherwise it's too grainy.

:)
ButterYum

SugarCooking said...

That's a really good idea! It would probably work really well. Let me know if you end up trying it!

Anonymous said...

Textures, I am fussy with that too!
I don't recall the hows or whys I ended up picking up the A & P American Choice house brand of ricotta, but I did. To my surprise it is the most creamiest ricotta I have found to date and only use this brand for cannoli filling since. I must try this recipe, recently having made cannoli cream I didn't pass it through the FP as I would have w/other brands. BTW, Pathmark also sells the same brand, if either of these stores are available to you might consider it.


Lucy

Jessica said...

Oh my... before I even read anything I was like "This looks like a frozen cannoli filling. I must have this" That looks insanely yummy!

Charissa said...

Just tried this recipe and it's lovely! I think if I made it again I would blend the ricotta really smooth before I used it...but it's really good!

Post a Comment